Pages

6.15.2013

Mile By Mile - The Lock Up

It took me a long time to figure out how to lock my bike and trailer together.  Like, a really long time.  I've had a few people ask me recently how I do it, so I thought I'd share my set up, in case you were wondering too.

This way you won't find yourself outside the library with two crying kids, muttering under your breath trying to get the gosh darn thing to work.

So here's our stuff:  Bike, trailerU lock and cable.




First I loop the cable through the trailer.  Don't use the wheels and the tow bar, as these parts are meant to come off easily.




Then I loop one end of the cable through the other.


Next I pass the cable through the back wheel of the bike.




Then I loop the cable through the U lock.


And pass the U lock through the bike and lock.



When we're downtown or at the lake, I also pass the U lock through a bike rack.
When Craig is with us, I can pass the U lock through his bike and a bike rack.
If we're someplace without a bike rack, like a friend's house, I'll just leave the bike like this.

I did a little googling to see what other kind of locking systems are out there and it seems like this is the way most people do it.  Certainly it's not perfect, a bolt cutter could get through this in no time, but it would deter someone from just walking away with the bike or trailer.

Also, our city now offers bike registration and I'm filing mine electronically today.  The trailer has a serial number too, so I'm going to try to register it as well.  If the bike or trailer were stolen, this would help the police identify them if they were recovered.

*I should say I did no research on bike locks, this is just the set I got with the bike about 10 years ago.  I use it because I have it and it works just fine.*

So that's how I lock up our bike.  How do you?  Do you have any tips to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment